Cleanings & Exams
Digital X-rays Advantages
Dental CleaningsProfessional cleanings performed by a certified hygienist are just as important to your dental health as daily brushing and flossing. Using specialized tools and training, your hygienist or dentist will:
• Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. (Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease, and gingivitis).
• Remove tartar from teeth surfaces. (Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become so hardened on the teeth that its removal requires special procedures. Tartar below the gum line is also an indicator of gum disease).
• Remove surface stains from teeth through polishing.
• Offer individualized guidance on the best home care for your preventive regimen.
ExaminationsRegular examinations help detect and prevent health issues before they become serious. Consistent dental check-ups help catch problems when they are small and easier to treat. Left unattended, small treatable problems become worse and may require more extensive, expensive procedures to repair. Dental examinations in our office generally include the following:
• Oral Cancer screening.
• Visual and laser tooth decay evaluation.
• Visual gum disease examination.
• Gum pocket measurement and tracking.
• Digital x-ray examination to detect: tooth decay, cysts, tumors, problems below the gums and other hidden issues.
Regular examinations are very important for your health. Remember, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." –Benjamin Franklin
X-rays (Radiographs)X-rays are a primary tool for early identification of dental problems. Detecting issues with x-rays before they become problems can save you money in the long run by preventing the need for more extensive, expensive procedures or surgeries. X-rays are primarily used to detect:
• Internal tooth decay.
• Cysts (fluid-filled sacks at the base of your teeth).
• Tumors, both cancerous and non-cancerous.
• Impacted teeth.
• Teeth that are still coming in.
Digital X-rays AdvantagesDigital x-rays have advantages over traditional film based x-rays:
• They emit up to 90% less radiation.
• They are ready for examination nearly instantly.
• They can be viewed on a computer screen.
• Their image can be refined and enlarged.
• They are greener; no chemicals are needed for processing.